Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stuff





So we've now established that God loves the Africans (see previous "band aid" post), but the question is: does He love us?


We've all been praying for the arrival of our luggage. We had been told not to have our expectations too high, but we prayed fervently. Well, they arrived. Well, almost all of them arrived. But one out of 17 didn't...


As I arrived back to the guest house after my morning classes I hurried to read the labels on the trunks. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had to read twice just to make sure. Then, it dawned on me: "Beth's name is not on one of these trunks." I mean, how can this be, God. Of all the trunks. One our of 17 and it had to be that one? How about the stuffed animals that Beth's daughter and niece had picked out and sent with such love and care to some little orphans in Africa? Or the close that her Mom and sister bought? And all the art supplies she was going to use to do something special with the children down here?


I did think about my personal stuff inside that box too, but only for a second... I felt really sorry for Beth. I thought: you do the statistic calculations on that one -- what are the chances? One in how many thousands or maybe a million? I don't know, but it is a fact now and there is nothing we can do about it.


Amazingly, when Beth arrived, the only thing she mentioned was the things the girls, her Mom and sister had sent. She said the other things "are not a big deal. I went a week without them, I can go another week." Thanks, Beth. She just saved me about an hour of arguing with God tonight. "Come on, Lord. Can't you try to work with us a little bit here? Don't see that these folks have already sacrificed enough? Don't you hold the world in your hands, how come you can't make that little speck of dust in this universe called Beth's trunk get on that Air Chance (I mean Air France) flight?"


Ah, but that is exactly the point, isn't it? The fact that God CAN and DIDN'T do it is exactly the point, isn't it? He must have a reason for it. God is not just a master irritator intent on ruining your mission trip to Africa. And He is definitely not a cosmic kill joy one ready to erase that smile out of your face.


Thanks, Beth, for reminding me of that today. Alright, I have been a little sick the last couple of days, but so has Beth. She stayed at the guest house all afternoon yesterday, trying to rest her weary body. Her cough came back. But today she was back being Beth and feeling a lot better. I know she could have used a little encouragement today, but I am sure she was not waiting for it to come exclusively from her luggage arriving.


I see this kind of attitude prevailing among all of our team members. And I am honored to be a part of this team. I praise God for each one. They all play a very important role. Please, keep praying for each one of us. The enemy is trying to get us out of focus here, but we will not let him, with God's help through your prayers. May we be reminded that in the end it is just stuff, right?


"God owns the trunks in a thousand cargo loads."


Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade



5 comments:

Pastor Daron said...

I thank God for His work in Beth's life. She is growing a lot. All of you are. I trust you can make time to rest and to re-engage the ministry God still has for each of you to do.

"Heavenly Father, I praise you for Your Great Love! I confess that it seems unfair to me that one trunk did not make it. But I still choose to trust you--forgive me for my frustration. I thank You that you accept me just as I am. I ask that you deter Satan from tempting the team to divert from their focus on You. I plead with you to give them strength to rest and courage to work hard. May You provide life-change in each of them. In Jesus' great name, Amen."

Pastor Daron

Anonymous said...

Pr. Ivanildo,
Please tell Beth that I'm so happy for her attitude.
I hope you get better quickly.
I'm praying for you
Liz

Anonymous said...

Beth:
Keep up the attitude ~ and keep up your health! We just want you to know that we read the blog everyday and keep all of you in our prayers.
This has to be such a rewarding mission, even with the challenges that you've faced. Just remember what a difference you are making in so many peoples lives.
Rene'

Anonymous said...

OH BETHANY... ART SUPPLIES AND STUFF MIGHT NOT HAVE MADE IT THERE, BUT YOU ALL HAVE. THAT IS RIGHT AND THAT IS GOOD!! AND JUST MAYBE THE OTHER PRECIOUS GIFTS WILL ARRIVE THERE ALSO!!! WITH SO MUCH TO DO AND SO LITTLE TIME... I KNOW YOU ALL ARE FINDING IT HARD. JUST REMEMBER... IT IS ALL IN HIS HANDS. AND THAT IS RIGHT AND THAT IS GOOD. LOVE AND KISSES...AUNT DEB

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to hear of all you are experiencing and doing.
We shared in a "African expeience" with sowing hope yesterday mroning.
I was telling the ladies about your trip and took some "Rooibos Tea" from africa and they really loved it. :)
We pray for all of you...for health...strength and recovery for Beth, Tim, and Pastor Ivanildo.
Steve and I saw visited with Marlin and Pat Simms and family yesterday...pray for them as they see Marlin go to see Jesus soon and we are all so jealous, but know it won't be long till we'll be leaving here.
Love and Prayers for all of you,
Celeste Kern