Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rick Makes a New Friend

Rick's New Friend
"We were having a good work day at the orphan care center, working on the building alongside the African crew that was there to help us. It was afternoon and there was a small group of young boys there watching us and also helping carry water for the families there.

So Tim, Rob, and I took a break and got a basketball out to shoot some hoops with the boys. As we were playing with the boys, I noticed this little guy standing there with his arms folded like a little tough guy. So I rebounded the ball and came over to him and gave it to him, then I picked him up and gave it to him, then I picked him up and took him to the basket so he could shoot. We did this about six or seven times. He got a smile on his face each time. Next, I felt this little hand grab mine. I looked down and it was this little guy who earlier was looking so tough. This small gesture touched my heart beyond what words can explain."

Blogger's Note: Rick is a quiet guy but when he speaks, you listen. I have heard him more than once express his thankfulness to God for "giving me the opportunity to be here." Tonight he said again how much he has learned by just observing how the Africans work. I know that he was touched last night by the testimony of the men who ate with us. I appreciate Rick's heart for God and the people of this county.

Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade

No comments: