Monday, April 07, 2008

On Familiar Territory...

I am back on my own computer now, but with not much time left. I am sorry about the confused last entry. But this way at least you have an idea of the kind of challenges people have to face here in this country. It was truly a cross-cultural experience and I have to say that I am scared about how much dependent on the Internet we are these days. Can you imagine not being able to ask google -- whenever and whatever I want?

But the good news is that when you keep at it you eventually get it. I was already getting used to that keyboard, kind of...

Challenges here come in all kind of sizes and types. Today one of my students, a pastor here in Bangui, share that last night thieves came to his house during the blackout and tried to break into his kitchen. They were unsuccessful but not to be detained they stole 40 meters of electric cable from their home, which means they are now without any electricity and will be without for who knows how long. When I asked him about replacing it, he said he was not able to do it. One meter of cable costs about 2 dollars, in other words, 80 dollars total, money he doesn't have. Think about it: many pastors here in this county make only $20 - $50 per month.

Yesterday I had the privilege of speaking in two services, a French one and a Sango one. Dr. Ngumape, the director of the Bible Seminary, translated for me. The church was jam packed with more than 2000 people total, and they were full of the joy of the Lord. They sang with their hearts, souls, and also used their voices. It was quite a thing to behold. I spoke from 1 Thessalonians 1: "Are you a mimmicker or an imitator?" I have pictures from the church which I hope to post soon. The rest of the team went to another church, where Pastor Tom spoke.

After the regular services the church was holding an afternoon baptismal service where 230 plus people were being baptized. And the amazing thing was that these people dressed up to their baptism as if they were going to a gala. They had photographers take picutures of them before and after their baptism. After they were out of the tank a group of young men followed them with some local drums, celebrating this great moment in their lives. I was absouletly blown away by this experience.

The hospitality here continues to amaze us. People are so gracious, their ready smile is always there and they conduct themselves with an air of non-chalant-ism, it is hard to believe they have to many trials and tribulations day in and day out.

After church yesterday a lady prepared some fresh fish, avocado salad, and meat for me and Dr. Ngumape. We ate a feast. The fish was so good I thought I was back in the Amazon eating my mother's cooking. I was so eager to eat the salad that only now I am thinking maybe the vegetables had not been washed the way we wash them at the guest house we are staying. But even if I had remembered this then, how could I have refused the offer of such a lavish hospitality? So I am glad that my eye for food spoke louder than my fear of parasites... there was no hesitation on my part to eat what she had prepared. I was thankful to be the recipient of such care, such love shown to a stranger. May God bless this lady and her family.

On Saturday we also went to our first Orphan Care group meeting. I may have mentioned this before, but have not spoken in details. To give you an idea, one of our team members said that it was one of the most memorable days of his/her life. We were moved with such demonstration of love from orphans who have lost everything but have learned again the value of a touch -- because concerned Christians, both from here and from the U.S., have made it possible for them to eat three meals a day, to go to school and most of all to find the hope and joy that only Christ can give. I sat there with these orphans, thinking: our church ought to do more for these kids, we individually ought to do more, and I ought to do more. There is no excuse, no more waiting around. It is time to act now.

One of Jeana's tasks on this trip is to start laying the groundwork for a plan that will allow people in our church to sponsor orphan kids from Africa. We want to make it easy and significance the experience for everyone who decides to do it. Please, pray for Jeana as she considers what this plan of action should look like.

I have to go now. My ride is waiting. I have not yet had supper, Beth is waiting too and tomorrow is another long day. Please, continue to pray for us here. The days are getting shorter and we still have a lot of work to do.

Keep looking up!

Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade
itrindade@woostergrace.org

P.S. Sorry for the typos, no time for spellchecking!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear friends
I can see why Laura wishes she was with you on this trip- This last blog just brought tears of joy to my eyes as I imagine the service, and the baptism and all that you are doing! Wow! God is so good! I am thankful again for all of you. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to hear more.
Love to all
Michelle S.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Ivanildo,
These blog entries mean so much to us here at home, we wouldn't mind if EVERY word was misspelled! Thank you for being our lifeline to the team. I am so glad Beth is doing better!! Please tell her I am very thankful for the work she is doing, and I love her!
Kristen

Ivaldo Trindade said...

Ivanildo
Escreverei em português mesmo.
Quem maravilha poder conhecer um pouco mais o que Deus tem realizado em um povo como o é o da República Centro Africana.
Temos orado em nossa igreja pelo trabalho que aí está sendo realizado.
Há sim muito o que fazer em benefício destas e de outras crianças no mundo, em especial, a beleza da graça de Cristo.
No amor de Cristo,
Ivaldo

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you and for the remaining trunks to arrive this week!!!
Thank you so much for the pictures and for all the details.
Heh, I want to taste one of those Mangos!!!! :)
Celeste Kern

Matt Carter said...

Hey Team! As I read IT's words, I was instantly transported back to Bangui. The sights, sounds, and smells were right there again. Anyways, thank you for continuing the hard work down there. Sarah and I will be praying for your journeys and experiences.

In Christ,
Matt Carter

Anonymous said...

Hey Africa Team!!
Like Matt said, we are keeping you all in our prayers. Praying that God will provide all the energy and strength that you need for each day. It's really neat to see what you guys are accomplishing! Even just your presence as a team in the CAR is such a testimony to people there and back here in Wooster.

Sarah Carter

Unknown said...

Pastor Ivanildo,
Just checking to make sure your keeping my brother Rick in line and to day "Hi" to all of you. You're doing a wonderful thing and I wish you all the best in your work.

Unknown said...

Guess I should have checked my spelling first - say "Hi" to everyone.