Friday, April 04, 2008

God is Working!

April 4, 2008

We went to the American Embassy this morning to register in case something happens and they need to contact us. I was teasing with the rest of the team that the Embassy would only take me in if I had a sponsor (I am not a citizen yet). Or maybe if I asked for political asylum. Or if I said I knew some guy who is hiding in the mountains of Afhganistan... In the end, they took me in and accepted my passport, no questions asked.

We had the awesome privilege of going to the ohphan care center where most of our activities will be centered in. The guys were able to deliberate a lot about the details of the project -- enclosing an area that is going to be used as a tool shop for orphan boys -- and the ladie met with the nurse in charge of health care and the young lady who is responsible for their literacy program.

Jeana and Beth right away got in the action as the nurse was attending to a little boy who needed some care, cleaning and bandaging a little boy who had some infection and fever. He is coming back Monday to have his bandages changed. The nurse showed them how they can help her. It looks like they will be busy. They will also be go and meet with the orphan groups.



With regard to the construction project, we all feel very good about the fact that even though several of our tunks went missing, most of the stuff necessary to get the project going was in the tunks that came in. They are ready to get started. It does help that they have the expertise help of one brother who is a master builder here in the CAR. This elder statesman was very eager to give advise and as Tom put it "had some ideas that were better than mine." Surprise, surprise.



my Sango teachers
While at the orphan care center I got my first Sango lesson the two people who head up the literacy program. They taught me the alphabet, including a song that helps one remember all the sounds, which I was able to sing well at that time -- but have quickly forgotten since them. I am afraid I will have to repeat that lesson.

Something also I did was clime a mango tree at the orphan care center. The tree was infested with fire ants, but they were the big red ones which are not as lethal as the real tiny ones. I was able to stay five to ten minutes atop the tree and got about 8 mangos or so during that time. I was forced to come down because my body was covered with ants from head to tow. It took a committe of fire ant killing people to help me get rid of most of them. But I had a lot of fun.

Jeana has a theory about this. She says that there is something in my personality that makes me reverse back to my childhood whenever I am in Africa. Maybe something that happened in my childhoood. Wow. I should have gone to counseling. It would probably be a lot cheaper than all these expensive tickets to Africa. Good thing Jeana is not a Psychologist, but I like her theory anyway.

Well, tomorrow we might start seeing a wall go up and the greatest news of all -- I saw 15 sacs of fresh cement, ready to be used come tomorrow. Praise the Lord! 5 more to go... God is good.

One of the reasons we want to make this space for boys is that they don't have anything right now. The girls have their sowing center, which we were introduced to today. I had seen the beginning of this project two years ago and it was very nice to see it in operation today. The girls seem so happy to be working, with supervision and godly direction from Mrs. Hibale. But right away she asked us to pray for the girls in the program. Some of them are having to drop out because they get pregnant. It's a constant battle here. Please, pray.

We have seen God at work already. Thanks for praying and keep those prayers before the throne!

Pastor Ivanildo Trindade








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who/What is up in that tree! [o:
Beth, It was so good talking to you today. I know that you guys will make a huge difference there. Hang in there ..2 weeks to go! Take care -Josh

Pastor Daron said...

Praise the Lord for His creation. Juana and I were visualizing and imagining eating a fresh mango right from the tree. We do miss you, Pastor Ivanildo. Please take care and may God bring five more bags of cement.

Praying God gives you strength to rest and wisdom to recover as you serve the Lord and minister in His name to the people of Bangui!

Anonymous said...

praise our Lord for servants like you who are willing to go where HE sends you. Beth I work with your Mom at WCH
she gave me this blog spot. I will pray for you daily that our God would bless your work and protect you. My devotion today was from Acts1:8 you and your team certainly are following
this scripture! Again may God bless you all for your faithfulness!