Sunday, April 13, 2008

One Person At a Time, By Rob Miller

"Our time here in Bangui is half over now and it seems as though we just arrived. I have really enjoyed getting to make some new friends and to see friends I had made last year. It has been a challenge to keep working at times because of the heat. When I start to get to that point I just try to think about the lives that could be impacted years from now as the young boys from the orphan care center learn a trade in woodworking. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity to serve.

Today we did home visits for children who attend the orphan care center. Most of them typically live with relatives or only have one parent. Their houses were small brick homes about 10 ft. by 15 ft. Typically housing about 15 people per home, with no running water or plumbing. It seems about 80 -90% of the 600,000 people in Bangui live in these conditions.


The average annual income is about $250.00 per year. As I visit the people who live here I often can’t help but wonder how I was born in the time and place that I was. We as Americans are truly blessed in so many ways. Being here even only for a couple of weeks I see that life here is very difficult and challenging in ways that most of us will never know or hear about. Such as a trip to the local bank to exchange money can take as long as 2–4 hours or that most people from childhood have no training in personal hygiene or health.

I know there is no easy answer to solve the problems in the C.A.R. but with God’s help we can work together to make it better one smile, one handshake, one prayer and one person at a time. Jesus would have us do just that."

Rob Miller

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother Rob,

You have been in my heart and prayers from the beginning and will remain. Here is a quote I believe is a theme of your experience in Africa.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. - Mother Teresa
May your great love speak to those around you.

Signed,
COME ON!

Laura G. said...

Rob--
It is so good to hear others contemplate how we are born where we are and why. Something I thought of/think of often when I look at my brothers and sisters in Africa/Cambodia, etc. But what is even more encouraging is that you have gone beyond the question without a real satisfying answer (other than the general sovereignty of God) and realized that the answer doesn't matter as much as what you are going to do for those who have such different lives from your own. You inspire me Rob. May God cotinue to work through you in the CAR. God bless!
Laura