Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Connection Without Words

There are times when an emotion arrests you. I am not one who likes to take pictures of suffering. In fact, though I took lots of pictures while I was in the C.A.R., it's as if my camera went on strike as we arrived at the Pygmy village. Since the first day I set foot in this little village, I was struck with the sense of hopelessness and helplessness that seemed to assail a small band of people whose only "sin" was to be born Pygmies.

I asked Pastor Tom to snap this picture because this boy, one of the quietest ones in the village, kept appearing around me after time I turned around. He looked a little scared, but at the same time he looked like he could be a lot of fun if you were able to get to know him.

I wanted that picture also because we estimated that he is about the age of my son, Joshua, who is 14. Yes, he is a Pygmy and thus has a small stature, but his story goes beyond facts of genetics. This boy's growth has been severely stunted. Fact is, I don't even know how well he can speak. I saw other kids playing and talking, but this one was always by himself. I could tell that he had some serious developmental problems. Looking at him made me so sad. I was arrested by an emotion, a feeling that even though this boy was about the same age of my son, there couldn't be two people in this universe whose lives would be as radically different as his and my son's.

But in spite of all of this, I felt a connection with him. We didn't have to say a word to each other but we knew we shared a moment together. I wish I could have just sat down with him and heard his story. I would have loved to take him to the village and buy him a new set of clothes. I would have been so glad to share with him about my family. I would love to ask him whether he has any thoughts about what he would like to do with his life.

But instead all I have is this picture to remember him by. Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily a bad memory to have. I look at him and I can see that he even managed to smile. But I can't get over the fact that this boy is about the age of my son. Had I been a Pygmy, had I been born to that clan, I could possibly have a son just like him. He would be left wandering alone in the village, while I would be in the jungle hunting, trying to help the family survive another day. He would never have a chance to go to school and I would probably never reach 5o, my age this year on November 10th.

Why God chose another life for me and my son is a mystery I will never understand this side of eternity. And I don't have to. All I have to have clear in my mind is that God put me this side of the earth for a reason. And after meeting a boy like this one, I have to redouble my efforts to make sure that people like him have an opportunity to beat the odds against them.

Already there is a ray of light shinning in that village. Not only do they have a well with clean water and a couple of latrines, but they now have a little church building, shown here on the background of my picture with my new friend. A pastor comes to the village periodically and shares with the people there about the hope of Christ. I hope and pray that this boy will have a chance to comprehend clearly that Jesus Christ also died and rose for people like him. And that he will be able to surrender to Christ and enter eternity one day in the company of our beloved Messiah who loves him so much.

Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade
itrindade@woostergrace.org

No comments: