Friday, January 13, 2012

Ah Thailand, my home away from home, thoughts from Renee Shilling

Why would you not want to live in a land that literally means "beautiful?" I cannot think of one good reason; unless of course you don't love orchids, elephants, and coconuts. But before I dig into the details of today, I must update you on some team anecdotes.

Tuesday en route to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat): Pastor Ivanildo offered people some dried cranberries as he does every time that we're on the bus. As he poured some cranberries into my hand, a red bug started crawling out from among the cranberries and up my arm. A red bug! REALLY?! Had it not crawled up my arm when it did, it would've gone straight into my mouth with the cranberries! In a fit of panic, I squealed like a little girl, and the cranberries and bug went flying out of my hands. Pastor Ivanildo reminded me that people eat those bugs in Cambodia. Yes, but ALIVE?! Unfortunately for everyone else, the reaction was too quick to capture on film. I, for one, am grateful!

Wednesday at a street corner in Phnom Penh: And today's Black Market Special (ding, ding, ding), Moto License Plates! Please, come here. I sell for good price! Would you like blue? Green? How 'bout yellow or red? Need I say more?

On a more serious note, one of our team members had trouble passing through security. Mike has a battery powered breathing machine that security would not allow him to take on the plane. While Ivanildo went to intervene, I felt prompted to pray for the situation. Ivanildo told security that Mike was disabled and he needed the apparatus while he was traveling. Security finally allowed Mike to carry his battery. Praise You Jesus!!!

I enjoyed hearing the first impressions of my teammates as we arrived in Chiang Mai. "It's a lot different than I expected." "It's more developed than I expected." "This looks like a nice place to vacation." Well I say it looks like a nice place to live! And apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so! We picked up a stowaway at the train station by the name of Brenden Miller; maybe you know him. He is checking out different ministry opportunities for him and his wife in this part of the world.

As I walked through the night bazaar, I was reminded of why my heart breaks for this country. Young, beautiful girls dressed for success -or at least for the night. The men that they're with are so dirty. Don't these girls see what I see in them? The potential to be so much more than a one night stand? Why do women easily fall into the trap of finding their self worth in such creepy men. It disgusts me to see such degradation in this world. It really takes Genesis 3:16 to a whole new level. It must sear the heart of God.

Because of one woman's desire to protect innocent children at risk of such exploitation, G.R.O.W was founded. Faa is a young woman after my own heart, and the ministry that she is providing to 8 at-risk children inspires me. We had an opportunity to eat dinner and have a worship service with the children. Please continue to pray for the GROW ministry with the wisdom to make several decisions with expansion.

Thank you so much for your prayers, and continue to do so. We appreciate your prayers and encouragement in our obedience to carry out the great commission. God bless you!


Renee Shilling:

I LOVE people. I love how diverse we all are, and I love learning about the cultural and religious background. My favorite people in the world are children, specifically my nephews, Jonathan, Logan, and Gabriel, and my niece, Cadence. Jesus encourages us all to have faith like a child. We can all learn so much from their teachable minds and vulnerability to trust.

I am a musician, and have had the privilege of playing trombone in the Church Orchestra, and participating in the Bell Choir. My greatest musical joy is leading worship in the four14 band. I love worshiping a risen Savior, and want to lead a life that worships him. My desire is to see others develop that same passion of worshiping the only true God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continue to pray for you all, enjoy the pictures and love your stories..!!! Sharing the pictures on my Facebook...

When I think in terms of God's Glory, I think of how He loves in so many ways! Thorough all of His people -like yourselves and of the children there. Of each individual, through all of the years of every minute of everyday.

How could anyone live and see all the Glory of God? It's not possible for us but we do get glimpses like Moses did ! No???

Thanks for the glimpses every one there...!

Anonymous said...

Continue to pray for you all, enjoy the pictures and love your stories..!!! Sharing the pictures on my Facebook...

When I think in terms of God's Glory, I think of how He loves in so many ways! Thorough all of His people -like yourselves and of the children there. Of each individual, through all of the years of every minute of everyday.

How could anyone live and see all the Glory of God? It's not possible for us but we do get glimpses like Moses did ! No???

Thanks for the glimpses everyone there...!

sandy said...

So good to hear how things are going! My love to the kids and a special hello to Brenden!!

sandy said...

So good to hear how things are going and prayers are being answered. Give my love to the kids and a very special hello to Brenden!!

Anonymous said...

Your stories are inspiring! Praying for you all!

Pastor Daron said...

Great post Renee. We love you!
Thanks for your thoughts today. May the Lord be your strength as you venture towards the Hills Tribe. Love all you encounter. Glorify the Lord!