Monday, April 12, 2010

His Light Keeps on Shinning

view of the sunrise on the sea of galilee
It was a quiet morning at the Lake of Gennesaret ("Sea of Galilee"). I woke up at 5:45, as our guide recommended, and quickly made my way to the walkway along the shores of the resort where we're staying, actually a platform elevated above the shore, and watched the clouds way on the east threaten to ruin what promised to be a spectacular view of sunrise broadcast the night before.

I walked along the path and saw other tourists, some sitting on chairs, some walking, some taking pictures, some praying, some looking like they were in a trance. I took several pictures but it was obvious that the lighting was not right and the view less than perfect. Galen helped me orientate myself by pointing to where Capernaum would be and I kept imagining my Lord on the shore of this lake, instructing His disciples or simply eating fish or chatting about the rest of the day.

Suddenly a ray of sunshine began to appear. I changed places to get somewhere where I could get some depth perception. Perhaps some trees or maybe even the rails of the walkway. I knew something special was about to happen. The light was teasing above the clouds, outlining the edges, as if the sun was mocking whatever threatened to impede its progress.

In about ten minutes the sun was in full view. There was no pause once it rose and nothing could stop it. It was beautiful and powerful at the same time. I thought of the story Pastor Bob had referred to the day before. It is found in John 21. Peter and other Christ followers were on this very shore and Peter decided to go fishing. Others followed his lead. They went out but didn't catch anything. John tells us that it was night time, before sunrise. And when the mist of dawn dissipated, the disciples saw Jesus on the shore. You know the story and if you had been here with me today, you would be able to see that now you really know how it could have happened.

I could see Peter jumping in the waters, getting out of the boat, hurrying to meet Jesus. I could see the smoke from the fish Jesus was grilling by the beach. I could see the boat full of fish, the disciples hauling the net to the shore, excitedly, as they counted the fish Jesus had just commanded them to catch.

Most of all, I could see the powerful effect the presence of the risen Lord must have had on His followers. Just like the sun, mocking the bellicose clouds, eventually rising above them and letting power of its presence be known across the universe, nothing could keep the Lord from rising. As the old hymn says, "death couldn't keep Him on the ground!"

And thus His light keeps shinning!
Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are loving the comments and the pics. Keep them coming and we will continue to pray for you.
Blessings,
Bob & Linda