Thursday, April 15, 2010

Masada

I am posting now from the top of Masada, the fort complex that Herod the Great originally build to hide because he was afraid of Cleopatra. As I write, our guide is explaining the history of this place. A story of bravery and desperation happened here in 63-64 A.D. as the Jews rebels chose this place as their last stand against the Romans. Almost 1,000 people chose to kill themselves here instead of becoming slaves in the hands of the Romans. Entire families perished here and our guide is reminding us that it was not a "mass suicide," which is not permitted in Jewish Law. It was mass murder, which is also prohibit ted but in times of was it was allowed.

I have to keep moving now as I chose to trek down the trail. We took the cable car here. The history here is simple incredible and I am enjoying every second of it!

Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade
itrindade@woostergrace.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed!! it's very interesting! and what a great opportunity! have fun
Daise