Thursday, April 08, 2010

Border Crossings

Hello everyone!

It's Thursday evening here in Jordan and this is just a quick post to let you know that we arrived safely here, after about a six hour bus drive from Egypt through Israel, then to Jordan. We are now seven hours ahead of folks in Wooster.

Once we left Egypt and entered Israel, we walked to the custom's building where there was a long line and security was tight. Then we took a bus on the Israel site and rode for about 15 minutes to the border crossing with Jordan. Once in Jordan, we also had to walk past the security points in order to meet our bus which was waiting for us on the street. From there it was a short ride to our spectacular hotel. We had dinner and my wife and I took a nice stroll through the streets close to our hotel.

While walking a young shop owner saw my Brazil jacket and asked if I was from Brazil. He then went on and on about how Brazil was his favorite soccer team in the whole world and named several players by name. It still amazes me how Brazilian soccer opens doors for me all over the world. As I told my wife tonight, soccer is indeed Brazil's greatest ambassador.

At least three unusual things happened today. First, A. J. was the only one who had his bags checked at security in Israel. He came after my wife and me and the guy made a quick determination that he looked somewhat suspicious. Just kidding...

Secondly, Dan Miller was walking immediately behind me when he felt something from the air. He took a quick look and realized that a bird had pooped on his passport. We all had a good laugh about it. Poor Dan had to scramble to find some paper tissue to clean the mess from his thumb and passport. That was Dan's welcome to Jordan.

Thirdly, after dinner I struck up a conversation with one of the workers at the restaurant. It turns out she is from the Philippines and is a follower of Christ. What a joy it was for us to realize that there was at least one fellow believer with us at that restaurant. God is good!

Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade
itrindade@woostergrace.org

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss you mom and dad! Paul and I got a new apartment! Are you email accessible? Let me know and I will shoot you some photos of the new place.

carissinha

Jillian, Holly, and Emmy Moo said...

Sounds like everything is going really well so far! Excited to see all the pictures.

Grandpa, we think Trixie misses you already. :) Have fun!

Jillian, Holly, and Emmy

marlin said...

Great Pictures!
We know Israel, Egypt and the Gentiles of the past. We have seen the Gentiles revealed and await the day of Israel in the future. Could Egypt's eyes be opened and Christ be revealed to them in the end times just as we still eagerly await Israel's?
What is God yet to do, because of Christ... to the amazement of the whole world? (Isaiah 19:18-25) Isaiah 19:21 ..."So the LORD will make himself known to the Egyptians, and in that day they will acknowledge the LORD." 25..."Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance."