Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Night God Spoke

I have watched our team work so very hard on every aspect of this trip, but the effort they have put at rehearsing for the drama has surpassed them all. Since it is a drama with action and no words (Portuguese not being the language of choice of the majority of our team mates), they had to get everything well synchronized to the song. The skit is about a young lady who comes to Christ but is seduced by all sorts of temptations which keep pulling her away from God. A great struggle ensues until the end when Christ's defeats all her enemies and restores her to a life of sweet fellowship with Him.

The first time the team did the skit was at the Furo do Ceara GBC. I watched from the back as people interacted with the drama. It was a powerful moment. At first they were somber, then some became vocal -- even to the point of audibly rooting for Jesus with sighs and hushed words of protest against the enemy. Suddenly, the drama was over when Pastor RAD held up a sign that said, "Jesus, you are all I want. Jesus, you are all I need." The audience applauded. Several were crying.

One man in his 30's told me that he cried because even though he has been a believer for many years, he could still related to the temptations the young girl was facing. He said, "This story connects with all of us -- believers or not." At the end of the service, one lady who goes to a different church in Belem asked me if I would consider bringing the team to her church so we could present the drama there as well. Politely, I said we were not going to be here on the date and time she suggested.

Seeing how the people were so moved by the drama, I felt it in my spirit to change my message at the last minute. I was going to speak from my prepared message, which had to do with family and especially parenting but as I was walking over to the platform, I told my brother not to bother to set up the machine to operate the power point -- I was going in a different direction.

I preached out of Philippians 3 -- what ultimately gives significance in your life. But I could very well pray and dismiss the people -- the most powerful message had already been preached by our team with the drama. I was honored to bow to the nudging of the Spirit and I believe God received the glory.

Thank you for praying for our team. Tomorrow at 1:00 pm Ohio time we will be flying to Macapa, where we will have about 5 days of ministry, including an English Camp for young people, where we will have the opportunity to share about Christ with many. Please keep praying.

Pastor Ivanildo C. Trindade

1 comment:

Pastor Daron said...

So excellent to read how God is using you to draw people to the Lord and to encourage believers to be fully devoted followers of Christ.