Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Serving God By Playing?

Zac fulfilling his "calling"

"We have been in Africa for 4 days now. I have been playing with a missionary kid from England. His name is Alexander. Today I met some African children at Madam Zokoe's.* I gave them gum and some bouncy balls. We had a real African meal with bread (mapa), spinach, beef, fried potatoes, and plantains. My favorite food was the fried potatoes. I am having lots of fun, but it is very hot here. Right now I miss the snow at home."

Zac Harley

"I discovered that playing can be a way of serving God. I met a missionary girl that has no English speaking friends to play with. She is very excited that I am here to play with her. While the rest of the team is serving at the AIDS clinic, Zac and I get to play with them. Mom said our ministry here this week is to play with these kids. Pastor Tom said that he wanted to change his ministry to play too!!

We went to Madam Zokoe's house to eat lunch. My favorite foods that we ate was the African watermelon and the fried potatoes. After we ate we came outside to have coffee and tea. We also gave the children Pringles and salted peanuts.

Last night the power went out. This happens a lot here. We played games by candlelight. Dad and Rob did dishes with lights on their heads to be able to see. I am having a good time, but I am really missing my family and friends at home."

Valerie Harley
*Blogger's note: She is the Central African lady in charge of the Grace Brethren Orphan program in Bangui.

No comments: