Thursday, May 07, 2009

"I like the king too!"

[Blogger's note: I've included a short clip of the children from one of Asia's Hope's orphanages in Thailand. I got this video when I was there last May. I am sure Pastor Bob is interacting with some of the same children.]

Greetings from Thailand or SIAM – setting for the “King and I” musical!

Actually – the current King of Thailand is the longest reigning monarch in Thai history and just celebrated his 59th anniversary. He's deeply loved by the people – much like the late King Hussein of Jordan. Of course, if you speak or write against the king in this country, you could be imprisoned ... so I think he's a pretty great guy, too!! :-)

Dr. John and I arrived yesterday afternoon following two connecting flights from Phonm Penh. We were WARMLY GREETED by Tutu, the AH country director, and 11 orphan children representing four tribes from the five AH orphan homes here in Thailand. They were dressed in their tribal costumes, looked ADORABLE, and presented us with bouquets of beautiful, white carnations & orchids. Once again – I melted when I saw them!

We connected with John McCollum (AH executive director) at our hotel and immediately headed for the three orphan homes in Doi Soket. Again – I was very impressed with the dedicated directors and staff I met in each location as we played with and hugged each of the children. As darkness fell and we headed for the last of the three homes, we spotted a man lying in the road (!), waving his hand. We stopped, discovered he was drunk, helped as best we could, and learned that he is drinking because his mother died recently ... another reminder that the only answers for the issues of this life are spiritual!

Today was another UNFORGETTABLE experience! We met all the AH orphan children at an ELEPHANT SHOW, which was a great treat for the kids (big and small!). We fed the elephants bananas and sugar cane and watched them kick balls (the Browns could use them!), paint (no – I'm not kidding!), and dance (now I know where Kevin Kane took dancing lessons :-)

Two little girls hung onto me throughout the entire experience. They sat on my lap, hugged my neck and took pictures with my camera! Quite a morning!

This afternoon – I'm catching up on e-mail and preparing for a great night. The children have an
“awards ceremony” to recognize their accomplishments in school, Scripture memory and character development. Should be special!

I have assured the AH staff wherever I go that we are praying for them, love the children, and will support them in days to come.

This country is 97% Buddhist, so the opportunity to introduce these children to life in Christ at an early age is remarkable!

Thanks so much for praying for our health, safety and effectiveness! That means more than you know!

Yours because HIS,
Pastor Bob

[Blogger's note: after Pastor Bob sent this e-mail, he sent another quick one in which he said, "Wish I could be with you today! But I'm praying this is a wonderful day turning the hearts of people to pray for our nation!! Nice to know God is not bound by oceans!!See you soon - Lord willing!" Pastor Bob. Phil. 1:3.]

3 comments:

Kaillie said...

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the elephant show with the kids!! And I'm also excited to see that the awards ceremonies are still taking place every month!! :)
Give all those kids hugs for me!!!

*Make sure you say "NO spicy" on a lot of the foods. Many thai people will tell you that their food isn't spicy... well they lie! HA! ;)

John McCollum said...

A couple pictures of Bob in this photoset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80053800@N00/sets/72157617839094832/

Pastor Daron said...

Pastor Bob,
I have Tutu's prayer card on my bulletin board. Please reassure her that we are praying for her. It was my privilege to hear her story and to count her as a teammate in the Lord. She is a fully devoted follower of Christ who seeks to disciple more fully devoted followers in Thailand. Praise God!