Friday, May 08, 2009

A Ceremony for the Ages

Photo by John McCollum

Greetings, everyone, from the wonderful & exotic world of Chiang Mai (home of elephant, tiger and snake shows, and the most adorable orphan children from the hill tribes of Thailand).

Last night, our team headed for Doi Soket orphan home #1 for a special awards ceremony for the children. We enjoyed baked chicken and “sticky rice” prepared by the cook for the orphan home, then joined the children for the ceremony (and what a ceremony!!).

The night began with at least an hour of energetic, vivacious, Christ-honoring worship as the children “sang their hearts out” (again – think the “Best of VBS with Pastor Randy”). I loved it as the kids sang “God gave me my eyes, ears, nose, etc...” One cuddly three-year old sat on my lap for most of the of the time until I realized she had wet her pants :-) .. Hmmmm... Oh well – anything for the cause! Those shorts headed for the laundry today – I promise!

I had the privilege of speaking to the children and used Jeremiah 29:11, as I did in Cambodia. Each of the orphan homes then provided special music. Two little children (couldn't have been more than 7 years old) quoted the books of the New Testament, the Lord's prayer, the Beatitudes, Psalm 1 and probably a few other sections I didn't recognize in Thai.

The night concluded a bit abruptly (after 3 hours!!) as a storm blew out the electricity! Never fail, however, Tutu, the enterprising country director, used candles, flashlights, and headlights to provide enough light so the children could receive food prizes and be recognized for special achievement in school, Scripture memory and character development.

Photo by John McCollum

One 7 year old girl, who spent the entire time with me at the elephant show the previous day, gave me a good-night hug that wouldn't quit! That did it! I'll never forget her smile! Just before we left, the electricity returned, and we said good-bye for the evening.

Tonight – we head to the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai for another taste of the culture. I'm told it's much like shopping in many “old cities.” Just about 36 hours before we start the long trip home.
Please keep praying for our safety, health and effectiveness! Especially pray that neither Dr. John nor I get sick before our flights. The Bangkok airport uses a thermal imaging devise to determine if prospective passengers are sick and running a fever. I get the feeling we wouldn't be allowed to travel if that were the case. We would like to come home as scheduled!

Yours because HIS,

Pastor Bob

No comments: