Sunday, May 03, 2009

Heaven on Earth

Hi, Everyone!

Well – it’s Sunday afternoon here in Battambang. We’ve experienced one HIGHLIGHT after another throughout this trip. Today was no different!

The day began with a 4 a.m. wake-up call from sirens close to our hotel. I couldn’t go back to sleep, so I went to the front desk and learned about a fire that consumed a structure across the street. Four girls (ages 17-20) died in that fire… a graphic reminder of how eternity hangs in the balance for every person … in Cambodia or any place in the world. Since Jill Kane learned more about the family situation at breakfast, I'm sure Kevin and Jill will do whatever possible to minister to the grieving families.

This morning, our team traveled about 15 minutes to the property which houses the 5 Asia’s Hope orphan homes. Again … I wasn’t fully prepared for what I experienced. About 170 children, AH staff and neighbors were packed into the main room of Orphanage #1 for their morning worship service.

Talk about a CELEBRATION!! This was the “Joy of the Lord”at its best! (Think Pastor Randy and “The Best of VBS”!). The children from each orphan home performed a dance/vocal to a praise song they memorized this week. Sure wish I could move like that!! Well … maybe not. I might hurt something! It was a taste of heaven to hear them sing, “Lamb of God”in Khmer. I thought of the glimpse of heaven experienced by the Apostle John when people from every tribe, nation, people and tongue gather around the throne to worship Christ! Whew! Can’t even write this without tears!!

I preached from the story of Esther and described how each child could have great beauty, great opportunity and great faith – just like Esther. Even though the children are learning English, Savorn, the AH country director, translated for me again, so the children could understand in their own language. At the close of the service, I prayed with children who might want to receive Christ.

After the worship service, we passed out cokes which I bought for all the kids to enjoy! You’d have thought I gave them $100! But, best of all … I discovered a new tradition for us in Wooster! The kids from our orphanage massaged my feet, legs, shoulders and arms as I sat in front of a fan! I recommend our pastoral care committee implement this practice following 3rd service each Sunday!

The hardest part of the trip so far??? Saying good-bye to our orphans this afternoon with the promise of our continued love and support. More tears.

We joined Kevin and Jill Kane for a delightful lunch at a restaurant near their home. Tonight – it’s live TV via Skype to our church services in Wooster! This should be exciting … stay tuned!

Tomorrow morning, Kevin will introduce me to the Cambodian church-planters in this area when they conduct their monthly prayer meeting, then we travel to Siem Reap, home of Angkor Wat, one of the wonders of the ancient world.

YOUR PRAYERS ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE! The heat and humidity are oppressive, but God is giving us special strength to deal with it.

YBH -

Pastor Bob

No comments: