Friday, May 08, 2009

Dr. John Campbell, M.D., Diagonosis Pastor Bob


[Blogger's note: I am posting here an e-mail from Dr. Campbell. As you know, he has been Pastor Bob's guide throughout this trip. I like John's unique sense of humor and heart felt sincerity for the children of Asia's Hope. We're very thankful for his leadership during this trip and we are very proud of our partnership with Asia's Hope in the work of the Gospel.]

All is well in Southeast Asia!

What a fantastic trip to this is turning out to be. Recall that the primary mission of this trip was to introduce my former pastor, Bob, to be ministry of Asia's Hope in Southeast Asia. Though the trip is not yet complete, I can unequivocally declare that it has been a success! Pastor Bob has been impressed with the scope of the mission here, the manifest evidence of God's handiwork, the countries of Cambodia and Thailand, and last but certainly not least, the faith and spirit of these people. I believe I can say (from a medical perspective) that pastor Bob has come down with the affliction called, "the Cambodia bug." I heard him say several times, "I will be back."

We moved the venue from Cambodia to Chiang Mai, Thailand. Arriving in Chiang Mai airport we were greeted by a delegation from the orphan home. Each of us received one of the bouquets the girls are holding; I don't believe I have ever received such a bouquet of flowers in my life. The children are dressed in their traditional tribal colors and costumes. The older children are standing in the background just as beautiful but too embarrassed to be photographed. Picture getting off an airplane, walking through the door, to be greeted by a sight such as this. (Time to reach for the handkerchief, again.) This is a posed picture, the real one included 11 similarly dressed children standing with smiles on their faces, anxious awaiting our arrival. Of course that was quickly followed by hugs, giggles, and laughs. Knowing these kids, I knew that this was not a performance -- they were sincerely glad to see us. (Note to self: again be reminded -- this is what it's all about. These kids ARE Asia's Hope.)

On the flight, Bob was feeling a little bit under the weather. Following the arrival reception, I saw him shaking his head saying, "another answered prayer." I asked him about his comment and he said that he had been on the plane praying for a little encouragement of spirit. Like you said, "another answered ."

One of our activities was a trip to "The Elephant Show." At first blush what seems to be just another tourist trap, quickly becomes a spectacular display. I learned yesterday that all elephants in the country of Thailand are considered property of the King. Elephants have some sacred significance and value in the culture. Being property of the King (who is greatly revered by the Thai people -- and the longest reigning monarch) elephants are treated with great awe and respect. Standing in front of the towering beasts yesterday I say I can certainly understand the awe part!

Anyway, somehow someone has figured out how to train these beasts to do tricks, just like your household friend, Fido. We saw elephants dancing, bellowing, taking a bath, completing a performance with a bow and curtsy to the crowd, playing soccer and scoring goals, giving one of the trainers a back massage, playing darts, and perhaps most spectacular of all -- painting a beautiful, easily recognizable picture, using multicolor paints and a paintbrush held by their trunks. I don't know how they do it!

Totally awesome! (I'm sure this is a dated expression; the younger readers' advice on what is a currently acceptable way to say the same thing, would be welcome.)

Well... the trip is trying to close. We have two more days and Thailand, during which we will play with the kids some more, experience an old-fashioned pig roast (complete with the slaughter and preparation of the page), a business meeting or two for me, and then my least favorite part of the trip -- packing to go home.

Yes, the trip has been a success. As usual, it is successful in more ways than we anticipate. As we are thanked by these beautiful people for our ministry to them we see again and again, through teary eyes, that we are the ones who have been richly blessed and will be taking more blessings home with us than we carried over to leave with them. Another mystery of God's economy.

I thank you for your part in this ministry, your encouragement of me and your support in prayer and finances. I hope that you have received encouragement and blessings in return as a result of your involvement. If you haven't received them yet, I can assure you that "the check is in the mail."

God Bless.

John

No comments: