Saturday, July 03, 2010

Todd Cooper's Thoughts on Asia

                                                                             
Hello from Grace Place, Thailand! We left Chiang Mi today to come out to the orphanage. It was a great trip as we drove into the mountains. The land is much more vegetated than Cambodia was. It is beautiful here! We are sleeping up here tonight, the girls in the house and the guys get to sleep in a newly built “Bamboo Hilton”, as named by several members of the team. We set up mosquito nets over beds once we got here, and shortly after, the local people fixed those nets. Ha ha. Today was a work day and it felt good to get dirty and painted up. Some of the group worked on the fencing area, which included clearing trees the old school way: axes, saws, and machetes. The other members of the group spent the afternoon painting. An entire coat of primer was put down, which was a lot.

I am very encouraged by our group. I am impressed that it’s been over a week now that we’ve been gone, there has been a lot of travelling and late nights, along with sicknesses and exhaustion, and today we did some manual labor, all the while keeping a good attitude! The group is a great group. Your prayers have really helped with all of us keeping our patience with our purpose and with our teammates, we thank you so much for that.

They fattened RAD up and fed him to us tonight. I know that sounds bad, but it’s not! The people here have a pig that they named RAD, and they prepared it for us for dinner. It was very good. The people in Thailand have a real talent for cooking. The spices are delicious! We haven’t had much of the spicy food though. They’ve fed us American hot style of food. Everyone is still enjoying it. I haven’t heard any complaints about the food.

Again, we thank you for all your prayers! We miss you all. God bless.
Todd
PS. A special hello to Steph! I miss you very much!

Todd's Bio: I was born and raised here in Wooster. I'm 26 years old and graduated from Waynedale High School. In high school I played baseball and still enjoy a hobby of church softball, including playing for four14 this year. After high school I attended and graduated from Ohio Northern University. I have a bachelor’s degree from there for Technological Studies and am using that degree in my job at TechniGraphics. I also have a diploma of Christian Studies from Ashland Seminary. I really enjoy theology and enjoy sharing my thoughts and investing in people. I don't go to Wooster Grace Brethren, but instead I go to a small church in Fredericksburg. I volunteer there with the youth and help coach the softball team. I heard about the trip at four14. I am a regular at four14 and am involved as a life group leader and sometimes help out as a photographer. Photography is another hobby of mine and I hope to bring back some great photo's from the trip!

No comments: