Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Go and do

The team has returned and is adjusting back to life in the United States, but there are still a couple posts for this blog that the team members wrote while on the trip. Here's Greg Wilson's perspective of the trip-


It’s Sunday morning here in Thailand as I write this and Saturday night for all of you back home. This is not the strangest thing I have become accustomed to out here, but it is strange. Nonetheless, you aren’t here to listen to me go on about matters temporal, so let’s begin.


We’re nearing the end of our adventures here in Southeast Asia and it becomes difficult to decide what to say, where do you begin? What do you put in? What do you leave out? Experience crowds upon other experiences and all deserve their own time. Yesterday I ate silkworms, last week I was surrounded by orphans in Battambang and wouldn’t have been able to type if I’d wanted to, by the time I reach home I’ll have been on seven different flights, I’ve eaten fried frog that tasted a lot like a Slim Jim, I’ve danced, worn shorts and flip-flops (anyone who really knows me will find that mental image funny), and basically been thrown headlong into a culture vastly different from my own.


And I’ve come to realize something out here, the furthest and longest I’ve ever been away from home, with an ocean between me and my native soil. I have realized what I thought I always knew, that the world is so much bigger than the little corner of it we call home and that God’s heart breaks for all of it. That sometimes we make decisions to go and see and do that seems, perhaps, headlong and reckless, at least for me who more often reads about something happening rather than being a part of it happening. That we go and do and act because that is what God wants us to do and if we have to cross an ocean to do His Will, then so be it. Only a few people who know me will get the full effect of this statement, but I say it anyway, I would not trade this experience for any number of books.
Greg Wilson


Gregory A. Wilson- Hailing from the dangerous, rough-and-tumble town of Millersburg and frequently found dealing out rough justice in the form of well-placed sarcasm and perfectly prepared bon mots, he exhibits as much flair for literary endeavors as he does for foolhardy plunges into exotic climes, bringing a much-needed sense of reckless courage to this motley band of travelers.

No comments: