Saturday, July 03, 2010

Sarah Judy's Thoughts on Asia


Today is July 2nd Friday. I’m Sarah and here is some info on what we did today. Last night was the first night we stayed in the Grace Place orphanage in Thailand. The guys slept in the “Bamboo Hilton” and us ladies slept in the orphanage. We were served some amazing breakfast by the widows living here. Our main plans for the day were to go to the Mae Rim Youth Prison for a youth outreach. I think a lot of us weren’t quite sure what to expect since most of our other visits were with people who believed in God. It was a tough experience on my part because most of the youth there did not care that we were there. They goofed off, talked, and screamed the whole time, which was difficult for me to understand. I actually felt foreign in this place because I had no idea what they were saying or what they thought about what I said. We performed the Lifehouse skit for them and they mostly cheered when we brought out the sins in the skit including drugs, alcohol, money, and weapons. The main thing was that the seed of God was planted and if even one young adult was saved then it was worth it.

After the youth detention center and eating we went to the Huaypong Lahu tribal village. Wow talk about being out in the middle of nowhere. We were deep in the mountains and the village was mainly made of bamboo houses. They do not have many luxuries like we do in America. There was one man there who grew up Buddhist and decided to turn to God because he had no money to feed the pigs and provide for his family. He shared with us some of the songs he plays and shared his story with us. It was neat to see how the tribal people live. It made me appreciate all I have and how easy life really is for us in America. I certainly miss a good toilet and shower . Last note of business – today is my cousin Heather’s 30th birthday and I wanted to wish her a very very happy birthday since I cannot be there to call her like I usually do! God bless all!

Sarah Judy's Bio - I recently moved to Wooster, OH for a job opportunity at Wooster Orthopedic and Sports Medicine as a Physical Therapist. I grew up in Oregon, OH just outside of Toledo, OH. I graduated in May 2009 from the University of Toledo with my degree in Physical Therapy. I started coming to Grace Brethren Church about November 2009 when I first attended the young adult group Four14. Since this time, Grace has become my home and I cannot imagine my life without being a part of this church. There are so many opportunities and events that I have been blessed to attend, which were new and a growing experience for me. Going on a mission trip is something I have never done, nor thought of doing until the past year. I’m excited and very nervous at the same time for the Asia mission trip that I will be attending in June. It will be a challenging experience that will test me mentally, spiritually, and physically. I will only get through this with the help of the Lord. I ask for all of you to please pray for a safe journey for myself and the team both across seas and within Southeast Asia. I ask that you pray for good health and confidence as this does make me nervous, but I know the Lord will protect us all. And lastly, pray that I will hear and follow His guidance so that I may serve the individuals and children in the areas we visit.

Thank you all. I love you and God bless!

No comments: