Monday, June 28, 2010

A Night to Remember

It's 4:30 a.m. here in Cambodia. I am writing this from my hotel room in Phnom Penh. I took a taxi after the outreach in Battambang tonight because I need to pick up Melissa Lemon, the last member of our team, at the airport in a few hours. The outreach in BB was a tremendous success. The team did a terrific job with the music and the skit and Pastor RAD delivered a good message about Esther and how we need to be decisive in our lives. He gave the gospel clearly. It was a wonderful evening. I left right as the food and fellowship part was starting but I heard that it was great. At the end our team took all of our children and staff to get ice cream in BB. There everyone said their good-byes and I am sure it was hard. How can we ever forget these children?

So I got in the taxi and we drove through rain. I was completely at peace, though, and I know the reason was that people were praying. I arrived about four and a half hours later, had a little trouble finding our hotel through the dark streets of Phnom Penh, ran to the lobby and asked the question: "Why are you not watching the World Cup?" Turns out Brazil was playing Chile and since I still have my watch set to Ohio time, I thought the game was starting at that time. Well, the answer made my heart sink, "The cable is broken?" I asked if there was another hotel where I could watch it. He said that it was the same all over the city. I didn't believe it. I took a motorbike taxi and rode to a place where there was a big screen. Sure enough, they were showing the game and I got to watch Brazil beat Chile 3 X 0 with literally everyone in the outside area of a huge restaurant rooting for Brazil. When I told them I was from Brazil, everyone wanted to come and talked to me. It was unbelievable.

Please pray for the team, they will get on the road in about an hour and a half to return to PP.

Thanks for your prayers! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are praying for the group for a safe trip to PP. also for healing. Looks like all are having agood time. Love the reports you are sending! HI Matt! Praying for You!

Dave and Nancy