Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's a new season of blogging!

We have finally rolled into some consistent wifi, for tonight at least, and one of the things I've wanted to do since leaving Ohio is give you a chance to hear the hearts and impressions of some of the team members. All that to say, I'm going to try and feature a few of the blog entries that have been written, not all necessarily apply to the day they are being posted, but are touching and insightful, none the less.

Each entry is introduced with a picture and a short bio of the person doing the blogging, so here's hoping you enjoy the chance to see Asia from many different eyes.

Thankful to be representing Jesus and our church in the lives of His precious ones,
RAD

Steven Starkey- I have been attending Grace Brethren Church for about five years now. Just last year I was baptized and became a member of the church. I am involved in the young adult group four 14, as well as an active member of the worship band. I greatly enjoy being a part of this church and all the opportunities through it to grow spiritually and opportunities to connect with people and help others around the world and in the community. I recently graduated from the Ohio State University ATI campus with an Associate’s degree in Environmental Resource Management. My ideal career is to work in a water treatment facility as a lab technician. In my free time I enjoy restoring vehicles, singing, playing guitar, camping, sports, paintballing, and being around the ones I love. I’m thankful to be a part of this team and excited to see what God has planned for us and those we meet in Asia. - Steven

Lindsay Doerr¬- I am 18 years old and have just recently graduated Wooster High School. This is my first time traveling over seas and out of the country. Throughout my life, I have been on many missions’ trips to different parts of the United States. I have traveled to New York, Texas, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. I have worked with homeless people and inner city children but never with orphans. I live with my mom Deb, my dad, Bob, and my older brother, Austin. I enjoy singing, playing tennis, and spending time with my friends. I plan on attending Indiana Wesleyan University next fall to major in elementary education. I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to travel to Asia to help the least of these. Some of my fears concerning this trip are the long plane ride and travel time, the heat and fatigue, and the health of our team. I hope that through this trip and even after I will learn to trust God, and grow in my relationship with him. - Lindsay


"Today is Sundsy, June 27th, and all of the orphan homes gathered together for church under the pavilion built by team Hope. Different groups of children from the orphanage preformed their songs and dances for everyone, John McCollun gave the message, and our very own four14 band preformed. After church we made a quick stop at the hotel and then enjoyed lunch sitting on the ground with the children. After lunch we had the whole day to spend with the children. We learned to count to 100 in Khmer twice, we played some old fashion futbol, we taught them songs and dances with Matt and Steve on the guitar, and we loved and hugged on them until the sun went down. After another dinner at the Cold Night restaurant, with the family style meal, and the delicious chicken skewers, we headed back to spend the night at Grace Place. When we arrived at Grace Place, each of our three pastors had a part in leading us in communion with the children. We had a love feast, washed every child’s feet in the orphanage, and took the bread and the cup. Finally, the fun began when we brought out all of the boxes of blessing that had been carefully handled all the way from America to each child. We each read their names and took a picture of their happy moment. After everyone had received their gift, we counted to three and it was Christmas morning. The children were overjoyed to receive their box and gifts from their beloved family in America. Until it was time to turn in for bed, the children were playing and examining every gift they had received in their box. After the chaos had subsided, it was time to turn in for bed. Some of us even chose to stay at the orphanage sleeping right with the children. We didn’t get much sleep, but it was an experience of a lifetime. Now we are preparing an American breakfast from the children and are preparing ourselves to say goodbye to these children we have come to love so dearly. Well it’s breakfast time, thank you for your prayers, and we can’t wait to see you back in Wooster.

Steve Starkey and Lindsay Doerr"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

praying for you guys - thanks for the pictures and updates!!

Randy

Mrs. Moomaw said...

Praying for you guys - thanks for the pictures and the updates!

Randy

Anonymous said...

Please enjoy every life changing moment of this trip! You guys are living my dream and I am envious in a good way!! Love hearing from Steven and Lindsay.
Diane

Stephanie Howell said...

The blog has been fantastic!!
Seeing the photos of everyone and the children really helps us see how amazing your ministry has been over there! Keep the updates coming (as wi-fi allows)! :)

Ben Framstad said...

Wow, that's so cool that you got to stay with the children over night. I'm loving all the updates of how you guys are doing.

Praying for you!

Ben