Monday, February 01, 2010

I'm coming home . . . what does that mean?

Well, in a sense, it’s a very sweet thing to say . . . can’t wait to see Debbie, Lindsay, Austin, my four14 family and even Ed and Daisy! To get a chance to reconnect with all of the things I’ve missed makes the truth of the 30 hour journey home seem like nothing.

But on the other hand, it’s hard to say good-bye here too. Good-bye to sunscreen in January, yep I’m sporting a nice reddish hue, to short sleeves, and motorcycle riding in the mountains of Thailand. Goodbye to rice at every meal and asking what it was we just ate after we’ve eaten it rather than before:)

See that’s how we cope with life, we talk about the surface stuff especially when the real deal of life seems too hard for words. Am I going to miss the children, words can’t really describe. The faces, the smiles, and now knowing the stories that came before those smiles makes leaving very difficult. When I child runs up to you and says, “I love you.” It’s not just to be polite, it’s because so many of them have seen the darkness and have now found love and hope in places called Grace Place.

I read just this morning, because it’s February, the month of love and because I’m heading home just in time for Valentine’s Day and Debbie’s birthday, these great reminders from 1 Corinthians 13 in the Message Bible. . .

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (MSG)
“Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,”
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

Oh, I’m going to miss being here alright, the pure genuineness of care and hospitality from the friends I’ve made here has been nothing short of full on refreshing. I’ve seen love given, and love received and it truly is a beautiful thing.

Oh and by the way, I’m bringing something home for you too! Because if you have in some way prayed, given, sacrificed on behalf of the very least of these and the work that goes forward, slowly with so much left to do, then how about meeting me at my office on Sunday cause I’ve got a heart full of hugs, holding hands and I love yous to deliver because you’ve cared. Thank-you Wooster Grace for allowing me the privilege of representing our Savior and you, the families of Grace who are doing the real work of ministry day in and day out, it has truly been an honor of humility that I could stand in this place for you.

My the Lord continue our heart for the world and may we be faithful until He comes,
RAD

1 comment:

Heidi said...

great post RAD! and of course you had to use "The Message". lol :)