Monday, September 12, 2011

Our worship is LOUD!

Last night we experienced church Caribbean-style!

The experience began before the bus ride. We had to go to a bus stop on a street-corner after the sun went down. The walk went down streets lit with an occasional street lamp glowing amber in the dark night. We passed and greeted Dominicans out after a long's day work. We guessed we walked about .75 miles to the church bus stop.

I tried to take a video of us waiting but the camera did not have enough light. So I waited for a passing van to shoot some grainy footage. I'll try to upload a short clip or two if I have time and have extra time with the internet access being so slow.

Anyways, we graciously declined rides from other buses, vans, and taxis. Then the bus arrived. What a relief! Standing on a darkened street corner where the street light is not working with your family in a foreign country takes faith or naivete. I had both. Yet my brother-in-law Jeff has been here many times. We praise God for his leadership on this trip. So we stepped into the school bus for our 30 minute trip to the church and school campus.

We arrived late; culturally acceptable here. And the pastor's wife greeted us with a hug and a kiss. We met a couple from Warsaw, IN, the Wildman's. I met Rod on January 1 at the polar bear plunge in Winona Lake, IN.  Others greeted us with a hug and kiss too. We felt tremendous warmth and love.

Upon arrival the church meeting and the kids meeting competed for who was going to be louder. I'm serious! The volume for each sound system seemed to be red-lining. My girls followed their cousins and aunt Stephanie into the raucous children's church. Scripture set to merengue music and dancing overwhelmed them as they entered. What a cultural experience!

We entered the church service amid a full merengue worship band fanfare. Praise choruses on Spanish Powerpoint directed our praise to God. Hands raised, eyes closed, and dignified dancing surrounded us. Praise here in the DR is embodied with total and complete engagement. You must worship with your whole mind, soul, body, and strength. I joined in  as "wild" as a Grace Brethren could. :)

I have much more to write but I'll end here and try to upload some pictures tomorrow. We got back very late. As one church attender put it, "Our worship is loud!" It sure was. My ears are still ringing this morning. Thanks for praying. We get to visit the school tomorrow.

1 comment:

marlin said...

Wonderful to be among so many of those who’s mind is fixed on Him in worship… with God present and powerful. Wish I was with you.

enjoy it and each one

marlin