Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hurrican Mara changes our plans for the day

Hurricane Maria--N of DR
Today we had to rearrange our plans. Torrential bands of rain and thunderstorms pummeled Bavaro. These bands are associated with Hurricane Maria, north of the DR. 

Our family had to adjust. We struggled. I forget how ingrained culture can be. I misunderstand how time influences us in the US. Here there is no clock on the walls of the church or in the rooms where we stay. I have heard our kids say, "What time is it?" They want to know what the plan is.  Both are part of our culture in the US.

Here in the DR time is not measured by the watch, but by the event. You don't look at your watch to determine when is lunch. You check your tummy to determine when to eat, then check the cook to know when food may be ready. How good to be stretched out of our comfort zones.

We are doing well. We played UNO and other card games while the rains poured in large bucketfuls.

In the evening, I got the opportunity to meet Pasquel's leadership team at the church. I did not know what he wanted me to share. But I found out about it last night after the services. So he let me have the pulpit.

By God's design, I am an encourager. I see the big picture too. So I targeted leadership stumbling blocks (II Corinthians 6:3-10) and leadership building blocks.  The stumbling blocks correspond to Satan's mighty weapons: "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life." I heard Jentezen Franklin say in a message that the three things that make pastors fall in ministry are either girls, gold, or glory.  I put each stumbling block together with each phrase like this--girls (lust of the flesh), gold (lust of the eyes), and glory (pride of life). So I challenged the leaders to beware of these stumbling blocks.

Conversely, I challenged them construct building blocks for leadership. I used a hand to illustrate how it takes five digits to have optimal use. You can function without any one of them. But together the hand can be a great tool for work.  The building block that I chose were:
  • Competence--know what you can do (Ecclesiastes 9:10);
  • Confidence--feel that you can do anything (Philippians 4:13; II Timothy 1:7)
  •  Capacity--be aware how much you can do (Colossians 3:23-24), include rest (Deuteronomy. 5:12-15)
  • Character--remember who you are in Christ (Ephesians 1:3), so guard your heart (Proverbs 4:23-27)
  • Control--be filled by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:15-21)
I praise God for giving me this message for them. This church Cuidad de Dios para los naciones--City of God for the Nations--has many nations in its congregation. I hugged and greeted brothers and sisters from the DR, Haiti, US, & Germany. The lost are found in Christ here in the DR.

I will pray for God to help them fulfill the Great Commission. I heard how God has helped them minister in their Jerusalem (Bavaro), then in their Judea (new church starts in their state or county), and in their Samaria (Mata Mosquito--a Haitian neighborhood nearby).  Now they must leave the shores of their Island to reach the world. May God grant them vision, courage, and Holy Spirit empowerment to reach the world for Christ.

No comments: