Friday, March 09, 2007

Spiritual Encounter at the Clinic

Barb & Sue
“That ye may walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God.” (Colossians 1:10).

It was bittersweet seeing the team off at the airport last Saturday. But I rejoice at what had been accomplished in such a short time by so many energetic, dedicated people. The guest house was so quiet after everyone left. I miss our team devotions – they were very special.

I have been working at the clinic this week
helping Dr. Y’s wife, Sue. There is an African nurse, Emilie, who works in the clinic also. The operation here at the clinic is a little different from that in the U.S. The patient sees the doctor and each person has a health book. The doctor writes his orders out for treatments, medications, IVs or lab work. The next stop is the pharmacy where I help Sue. Sue reads and explains each order to the patient because many can’t read. She then gets a basket and fills it with everything they need, like gloves, bandages, wipes, medications, syringes, lab slides and specimen containers. These supplies are only kept in the pharmacy.

The clinic
In the mornings we are so busy we don't have much time to talk. But I am a servant for Jesus Christ disguised as a nurse. I will find a way to turn Pharmacy work into Kingdom work!

When I received all the medications that were generously donated back in Ohio, little did I know that I would be the one to thoroughly count bottles of 1,000 Vitamin C, iron tablets, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen and pack them in small plastic bags. It took some time to count them out by tens and twenties and package them. That was my afternoon job. “Diko yoro” – count medications in Sango! Col. 3:23 “Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not unto man.” Counting medicines may seem like a mundane, uninspiring task, but I prayed about how I could make this task honor Jesus. So I decided: When I count pills, I will pray for those needy people who will receive the medicines. And that's what I did! More importantly, though, I pray that they will see Jesus in the Doctor and Sue.
Barb, counting medicine
In the afternoons, the other nurse leaves so it was just Sue and I are together in the pharmacy. This had to be God’s planning because this was the time we could have girl talk and some really deep conversations about God, the Bible, and Jesus. When Sue talks about God, she says, “I am a Christian. I pray before meals and at bed time.” Her desire is to make time to read her Bible and pray and go to church, but she says her schedule is too full. I did encourage her to start the day in the Word and gave her a daily devotional book. Pray she will discipline herself to take the time to be renewed. Pray that through the remainder of my time I would be able to clarify what a “Christian” is to her.

This trip has been a life-changing experience. I will never forget what I have seen and done. I just want to thank everyone at Wooster Grace for making this mission trip possible. Also, all those prayer warriors – may God bless you!
Barb Teach
Friday, March 9

No comments: