Friday, March 23, 2007

A Laugh That Could Heal All of Africa


That is the best way I can describe it. This little human with skinny little apendages and a swollen belly and the orangish tinted hair that comes from severe malnutrition. Laughing. HYSTERICALLY!

Not more than 3 or 4 years of age, she walked up to me with the confidence that only an extrovert of extroverts can have. I held out my arms and she held out hers and she was up in my arms. And then she started talking in Sango faster than even a Central African could comprehend. She mimicked my English with perfect intonation and pronunciation.

Her smile melted me as I held her. She attracted an audience of 50 or more in a matter of minutes. And then I began to tickle her....and her LAUGH, oh if you could hear her laugh! In those moments, all was well with Africa and her audience knew nothing but the joy of a little girl and her laughter that seemed to say " Life, what a gift and how fun it is!" She brought joy to her community for 10 minutes simply by laughing and taking in the joy offered to her in those moments.

And the most incredible thing: I GOT TO PARTICIPATE IN THAT JOY! That's what happens when you go where God sends you. And that joy is especially apparent when you have it to contrast with the poverty and despair of a place like Africa. I know many of you probably think, " I could never go to Africa. I could never see that kind of sickness, tragedy, and poverty. I couldn't handle it!" That is a natural reaction. But my friends, speaking from experience can I humbly say, "YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG!!" God equips you to go where He sends you, and more than that He BLESSES you in ways you will never know if you stay within your own comfort zone. Sometimes He blesses you so deeply that you get to hear a laugh that could heal all of Africa. And that, my friends, is an irreplacable gift. Is He calling you to go? Let God give you a gift like the laugh that could heal all of Africa.

Laura Gibson

2 comments:

SPIES said...

Wow, Laura. You did it!

This is a great entry. I can't stop praising God for what He did through you guys in the CAR. Let's do it again!

Pastor Ivanildo Trindade

Anonymous said...

awesome. she is SO CUTE!

-Rebecca Romaneski