Saturday, April 09, 2011

What's on your menu for lunch? Roasted Snake?

PK-22: "Fry-Day"
PK-22: Photo courtesy of Tom Peters


Friday was our second full day at PK-22, we felt like we made good progress on our projects today.  While we waited for supplies for the skid steer loader, we began placing large shipping containers to be used as the shop area for the water well team. 

Backhoe moving containers at PK22
Shipping containers are not only for shipping supplies in from all over the world but they also serve as buildings and storage facilities for the work of ICDI.  We used the backhoe to move and arrange the containers. 

For lunch we went to a local restaurant which we had placed our order the day before.  Our meal consisted of chicken, cucumber salad, rice, gozo, and mango for dessert.  The food was actually pretty good and it gave Dale a chance to try the local delicacy of Gozo which has a unique local taste.  I encourage you to ask any of us who have eaten it before to tell you what it's like. Usually it's not a favorite for non-locals. :)

After lunch our supplies arrived for the skid steer so Dale and Rick worked to get the problems correctly.  Thankfully there efforts were successful and we finally were at full working capacity.

Dale and Rick worked on the plant nursery leveling dirt and making water diversion ditches.  I took the backhoe and began clearing a road back to where there is an abandoned building which Nanga hopes to build an office for PK-22. 

As part of my project I demolished what remained of the old building. Part way through my efforts I scooped up a funny looking tree branch which I quickly realized was a 6ft long poisonous snake.  Thankfully for me I was safe in the backhoe!  The snake retreated under some of the rubble I had just removed from the building.  John Hocking went and got a machete and then I moved the rubble to find the snake so we could make sure it did not cause any problems.  I can give more details later but I will just say the snake is dead.  One of the guys wanted to take a picture of the snake but the Africans working near us had already started cooking the snake.  They were excited that I had provided them a tasty meal.

FYI The temperature was 130 in the sun!! (At that temperature you can cook a pork loin in a rotisserie grill. Check out Ehow, step 4. Wow, that's hot! by Pastor Daron)

Thanks for your prayers
Tim

No comments: