Thursday, August 31, 2006

More than going back home

What does it mean to go back to Africa? Well, for me, it's very much like going back home. If you read one of the previous posts on this blog, you saw that I grew up in the C.A.R. I have great memories of my childhood there. And then God allowed Sue and I and our boys to spend eight years in ministry as well in the late '80s and early '90s.

Albert in Bata in 2002

But it's more than just going back to childhood stomping grounds. It's more about the people. One of those special people is Albert Moane. When we first arrived in the C.A.R. in 1968, I was scared stiff of the place. I had visions of being drug off into the jungle by apes, or that lions or snakes would do me in! These were brought to mind through TV episodes of "Tarzan" and "Daktari"! And if that was not enough, in my childish thought felt that if the animals didn't get me in, the Africans would. But within a few short days of our arrival there, Albert changed my childish thoughts of fear to feelings of acceptance and love. He would take me on his knee and show me how to make peanut butter. Or as cook for the dormitory, he would show me how to start the fire in the wood stove, or how to get the siphon started to filter the water that we would drink. I credit God’s hand through Albert for giving me the love for the people of Africa that I have today. God truly answered prayers through him. Although I will not be able to see Albert on this trip because God took him home to heaven this past June, I will be able to see his family and try to encourage them even through their loss. As Albert showed his love to me, I pray that I will be able to portray God’s love to his family on this trip.

What does it mean for our church to be involved once again in Africa? Well, we really haven’t had missions partnerships in the C.A.R. in a formal way since around 1996. Though there have been some trips back to the country, this will be the first time that we’ve been able to go back with the intention of seeing how God would like to use our church to meet some needs of the some of the poorest people in the world. The exciting thing is that not only will we have a chance to meet some physical needs through the possibilities of partnerships in the water wells and orphan care, but we’ll also be building on those foundations stones to enhance God’s work through the showing of the “Jesus” film & outreaches in areas of the country that lack consistent spiritual input.

So as has been said several times on this blog, please PRAY for our trip and especially for clear direction from the Lord as to our future role in the C.A.R.

Pastor Tom Peters

No comments: